Dating hasui prints
Teiichi Doi (died 1945) opened his woodblock print publishing business in 1930 in Tokyo, having at that time just returned from San Francisco where he had been an art dealer of Japanese "shin-hanga" prints for the two previous decades.
It is no doubt that his experiences in America as a dealer lead him later to his great success as a publisher.
Eventually, a site was chosen on Richmond's Boulevard. Williams and from Arthur and Margaret Glasgow, in particular, the museum's oldest funds used for art acquisitions.
The site was toward the corner of a contiguous six-block tract of land which was then being used as an American Civil War veterans' home, with additional services for their wives and daughters (the state having earlier acquired title in exchange for helping to subsidize the operations). Leslie Cheek Jr., whose father built Cheekwood, became director of the museum in 1948.
In principle, we can distinguish between pre-war Doi editions and post-war Doi editions.
Exact dating however is not always possible, because the Doi publishing house appearantly did not always follow strict principles in sealing.
The merchant class at the bottom of the social order benefited most from the city's rapid economic growth.
Many indulged in the entertainments of kabuki theatre, courtesans, and geisha of the pleasure districts.
There are groupings of Japanese woodblock prints often called schools and these are: Another commonly used term for Japanese woodblock prints is Ukiyo-e.
The upper part (right side/left side/up-down reads "hanken shoju" - Copyright Reserved), the lower four characters read "Doi Teiichi." Doi is the family name, the first name "Teiichi" can also be pronounced "Sadaichi".
Note--this seal is not "framed" compared to all later seals.
The main building was designed by Peebles and Ferguson Architects of Norfolk, and has been alternately described as Georgian Revival and English Renaissance, deliberately taking cues from Inigo Jones and Christopher Wren. His tenure was noted as having had a significant impact on the course of the institution; his obituary in the New York Times noted that he "transformed [the VMFA] from a small local gallery to a nationally known cultural center." Cheek's innovations included, in 1953, the world's first "Artmobile", a mobile tractor-trailer that housed exhibits with the purpose of reaching rural areas (prior to the presence of local museum galleries); and in 1960, in order to be accessible to a broader public, the introduction of the first night hours at an art museum.
In 1947, the VMFA was given the Lillian Thomas Pratt Collection of some 150 jeweled objects by Peter Carl Fabergé and other Russian workshops, including the largest public collection of Fabergé eggs outside of Russia. Cheek cultivated a degree of theatrical "showmanship" in the exhibits during this time, such as velvet drapery for the installation of the Fabergé collection, the "tomb-like" setting of the museum's Egyptian exhibit, and using music to set the mood in the galleries.
The hand made paper used for these prints is called Washi and made from tree bark usually taken from mulberry trees which makes it strong and capable of being soaked in water then dried.